Bläeckfisk is the Swedish translation for the word octopus. I am not Swedish, but I do own a lot of furniture from Sweden and I like octopuses while admiring their multi-tasking ability. I would like to travel to Sweden at some point, plus I think it is a pretty cool looking word. Anyhow, speaking of words, I guess you could say that is why we are here. Words are the foundation for way we try to wrap our thoughts around everything in the galaxy. The tendrils that lead to emotions and curiosity. I am not here to solve the mysteries of the universe, just to discuss words in general. Specifically words written by other people and have been printed off and slapped between two slices of thin card stock. Many of these sandwiches go on to bigger and better things, some bigger and better than others. So, I guess we will be talking about those as well. If you share an interest in words or enjoi seeing what they can look like in action....välkommen! (Swedish for welcome.)

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

F6: Circumstance-Directed by Maryam Keshavarz


"I remember when you used to sing to me."
 
This provocative film is set in present day Iran and follows the bubbling sexual chemistry between two best friends, Shireen and Atafeh. In a place where a viperous "Morality Police" is lurking around every corner and a punctilious theocracy controls most aspects of everyday life, their rebellious love for each other is perilous to say the least. Enter Atafeh's brother, Mehran, home from a stint in rehab. He has returned bent on atoning for his personal mistakes by joining the Morality Police and attempting to unveil the mistakes of all those around him. As Mehran starts to decode the seductive bond between Shireen and Atafeh, his resolve to purify those around him threatens the blossoming love of the two girls.
 
I really enjoyed the way this film drops you off in the middle of a culture so vastly different from ours. Freedom of speech and expression are often taken for granted and I love the way this movie makes you stop and think about the liberties we enjoy everyday. Director Maryam Keshavarz uses low lighting and macro lensing to tell this story in a way that seems all too real. Underground partying, hidden agendas and despicable policing create an edgy tone that will give you something to think about. Movies that take on a life of their on own and become something that you can actually fathom, to me, are definitely worth watching. It probably isn't playing at many theaters, but I can understand why it won the Audience Award at Sundance this past year. See for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment